Protecting a Private Art Collection in Sweden, France and London
A client – who must remain anonymous – holds one of the world’s most prominent private art collections spread across multiple properties in London, Sweden and France. Among the collection are priceless old master paintings, lauded modern and contemporary art, and some of the best examples of 20th Century Sculpture. Their insurer insisted on having an extra level of object-focused security, taking into account the large number of guests, workers and staff who enter the premises on any given day.
Rarely in one property for more than a few months a year, the client needs a means of monitoring the collection from anywhere. The system had to guarantee art security while easily co-existing with young family life:
- All paintings and sculptures had to be monitored.
- Sensors must be invisible and cannot be hard-wired.
- Sensors to be attached and unattached without damaging artworks.
- The client must be able to move paintings between rooms without the need for outside assistance.
- Full RFID coverage throughout all properties.
- System to be monitored at all locations, but only managed at the principal address in London by their security team.
- Collection to be managed and updated by their art advisors, Seymours.
- Our system had to integrate fully with the intruder alarm and SMS in each residence.
Fortecho Solutions worked closely with the client and incumbent security contractor AllCooper to provide the ideal system, ensuring effective integration, perfect coverage and optimal local support if and where required.
- All paintings fitted with a long life (8 years) motion-sensing tag.
- Fortecho Solutions created 38 bespoke pressure-sensing plinths in a shape and finish to suit each sculpture, as chosen by the client.
- 48 RFID readers were installed covertly across the properties in attics, basements, wall voids and joinery.
- Centralised database of all artworks, with local databases synced via a secure virtual network. London’s primary residence became the ‘Master’, while other properties function on a ‘Client’ license.
- Software setup to temporarily disable single or multiple sensors, and to change the registered location of artworks quickly and easily.
- The system is configured to send email alerts in the event of an artwork being touched, in addition to activating the local intruder alarm system and alerting security personnel.
- Entire system is integrated with Security Management Systems by software and/or I/O at each location.